Special Ladies and Gentlemen
Pelham Puppets made a number of special historical characters named "Special Ladies and Gentlemen" or some times that collectors refer to as "Kings and Queens".
These were made from the early 50's to the 70's and mainly sold in Harrod's and Hamley's Department Stores in London.
Many came with a paper label held on to the costume by a pin saying what they were. (Health and Safety would have had a field day)
There is no full list of what was made and collectors should watch out for redressed puppets that are not the real thing. These puppets were dressed in high quality materials and the factory took a great deal of research to make them accurate.
The main periods in which puppets were produced were:
- Tudor Period (1485 - 1603)
- Elizabethan era (1558 - 1603)
- Stuart Period (1603 - 1714)
- Jacobean era (1603 - 1625)
- Caroline era (1625 - 1642)
- Georgian era (1714 - 1830)
- British Regency (1811 - 1820)
- Victorian era (1837 - 1901)
- Edwardian era (1901 - 1910)
Others also known to have been produced:
- Julias Caesar
- Guy Fawkes
- Sherlock Holmes
For more information about these Monarchs and their periods Click Here